Tuesday 10 January 2023

CTMH Australasian 'Are We There Yet?' Blog Hop

 

Hello, and welcome aboard our 'Are we there yet?' Australasian 'Close To My Heart' Blog Hop. If you've arrived here from Maz Wood - aMAZing Creations, then you're in the right place. 

If you've landed here by accident, no problem, please join in by following the link at the end of this post.  

As suggested by the title of this blog, today we are featuring the paper pack, 'Are we there yet?' from the January - March catalogue.

When I first saw this pack, I wasn't sure I'd be able to come up with much, due to the lack of travel over the past few years. However, inspiration struck early one morning and now, I don't think I will have enough of it to cover all the things I've thought of! 

In 2017, I was one of a group of four photographers who travelled to Tiri-Tiri Matangi Island, off the coast of Auckland in New Zealand. The island is a sanctuary, free of pests, where birds and plantlife flourish naturally. If you're ever in the area, and appreciate nature, it's a great visit. 

Being photographers, we wanted to be there for the best light times - sunrise and sunset, so booked a bunk room for a few days. 

That meant taking clothes and food for three days, sleeping bags and pillows, as well as towels and of course all our camera gear. You can imagine the pile this amounted to for four women!

So.....the photos of our luggage at the beginning of the trip is what came in to my mind while I was thinking about the paper in this pack, and what follows is the resulting double page layout.

Starting with the suitcase paper, it occurred to me that it was ideally patterned to be fussy cut. So I cut around the suitcases to give a shaped border for each side of the layout, and then tried out the photos to see how they would fit.


Looking at the chosen paper with the photos helped me decide that the layout needed a bit of a boost of colour. With the yellow and blue in the paper and in some of the photos, I decided they would be the best accent colours. 
















So, using the yellow/arrow paper from the 'Are we there yet?' pack, I used one sheet below the photos on the left, and another piece on the right. 

This leaves some white to help highlight the photos and balance the white in the border paper. 



















I also added the zip strip across the bottom of the page. The arrows blended well with the arrows in the background paper. 

To bring in some more blue, I mounted the photos on the left hand side with the lighter side of sapphire cardstock. 

The next thing to add was the title. I chose to use honey butter card stock with toffee coloured ink. Honey Butter is one of the colours mentioned on the reverse of the zip strip, so it was an easy choice. 
Toffee is also included and makes a nice contrast to the honey butter. I also used the foam dome sponges to mark some toffee ink around the edges of the words. My thinking was that it would help separate them from the yellow background paper, and it seemed to work well. 


Because the name of the island is quite long, I didn't want the title to overpower the photos, so I chose  the pennant banner alphabet to use, and to cut the words up so they could be loosely arranged at the top of the page. I also added one of the stickers from the pack, which says 'The Adventure Begins'. 


The next step was making some embellishments to put in opposite corners, just to break up the suitcase paper a little bit. I chose a third paper from the pack and made some circles with the thin cut circle shapes, giving the embellishments somewhere to land.


 The suitcases and camera stamp and thin cuts were perfect for the subject matter on this page, so I just used those from the stamp and thin cut pack. But I also had to include some little rubber suitcases.....they're soooo gorgeous!
Finally, a few journalling strips on the left to balance with the white on the right, and we're just about done!


Add some journalling, and voila!


This exclusive 'Are we there yet?' paper pack and accessories are only available January - March, while stocks last. Contact your CTMH consultant to place an order.
If you don't have a consultant, and are based in NZ, please contact me or place an order here: https://lyndamowat.closetomyheart.co.nz

I'd love you to leave a comment below, before heading off to the next stop, Doris Taylor Creative Inspirations. 










8 comments:

  1. What a fun way to cut up the luggage print paper to use on your layout. It goes so well with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it was made especially for these photos...lol.

      Delete
  2. Lovely layout, the suitcase paper is perfect for your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to fussy cut the luggage paper! Thanks for sharing your process. The final layout looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story behind the photos- and I absolutely love how you fussy cut around the luggage paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lauren. I appreciate your comment :-)

    ReplyDelete

Stamping on a photo with CTMH inks.

Hi there, and thanks for stopping by. Happy New Year! It's been a while since my last blog (September 2023), but hey....New Year, new pl...